545 West Center Street, Fayetteville is the current studio location for David
W. McKee Architects PLLC. The firm set up shop in this old warehouse building seven years ago. The masonry, bar joist, industrial aesthetic building is located on the Frisco trail part of Fayetteville’s contribution to the Ozark Greenway.
Built in 1947 the building was originally the Arkansas Tobacco and Candy Company warehouse built by the Fulbright Family along a railroad line and spur know as the Cherokee and Oklahoma Line. The building was used as an auto body shop from 1977 until we purchased it in 2007.
Some of the improvements we have made include an ADA compliant restroom, thermopane windows, hydronic floor heat, and improved electrical and data systems. We are currently working on a rainwater harvesting system. Repurposed concrete slab material was used for a large retaining wall in the rear parking area and a permeable paving system was designed using concrete block for parking in the front that visually extends the planted landscape.
The building serves not only for the needs of our architectural practice but also art exhibitions, wedding receptions, and musical performances.
The Mckee Family recycled some of the original concrete paving to use as new masonry retaining walls and planters.